So on Tuesday we started round 2 of antibiotics for Sienna's ear infection. I gave the first dose to her around 11am and within 30 minutes she was not feeling good. She ended up getting sick (which was the 2nd time in 12 hours), started running a fever and acting lethargic. We spent the rest of the day alternating tylenol and motrin along with pushing fluids. She was supposed to get the antibiotics twice daily so after her evening dose the same thing happened where she got sick. We then spent the next 2 hours cleaning up, calming her down, and getting her sleep. Let's just say that the rest of the night did not go good at all.
Wednesday Sienna acted even worse. She would hardly nurse, drink water, take her meds and pretty much spent the whole day laying on my shoulder drifting in and out of consciousness. She looked so sad that it broke my heart to even see her like that. It was also hard to even get anything accomplished since she would not let me put her down. She continued to get sick after each dose of antibiotics so I called the doctor to see what they recommended. Dr. Drass ended up calling a new prescription for her (so glad that I only used 9 mls of the 80 dispensed and it cost $30). On his way home, Joey got the new med (another $35) along with some more pedilyte. Sienna barely would keep down the pedilyte and I was starting to worry that we would have to bring her to the ER for a fluid bolus. We tried the new med for her evening dose but the same thing occurred and she got sick again immediately. Now she was running 102.7 fever and I was getting worried so I ended up calling Dr. Drass to see what we should do. She recommended that we try to push fluids with little amounts but more frequently and only give tylenol so it would be less irritating on her stomach. Sienna ended up sleeping from 7:30 pm to 5 am and then all the way until 8 am. That morning her fever was 101.4 still but after a short nap it was like a light turned on. Her fever finally broke and she started to perk up immediately. We went back to the doctor's office that morning and Sienna's ear was less red so we ended up not having to go on any antibiotics at all!
All in all the good news is that she is better and I have a fridge full of antibiotics that I can't use:)
Saturday, January 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment