Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Crazy last couple of days

So Monday was one of the craziest days in a long time. I first walked in to work at 6:45 to have an immediate admission from Labor and Delivery. This just started my day off really hectic since I was trying to get report for my other patients and also start on the admission process for the new one. I also had a student shadow me for the day so she probably thought I looked like a chicken with my head cut off. Then I headed to lunch around 12 to find that someone had stolen my frozen meal from the freezer. Yes, someone took a pregnant lady's meal that was labeled with my name on it. We are having this problem with meals disappearing from our fridge/freezer lately and the only other unit that we share our breakroom with is the adult ICU and our manager is looking into it.

To top off the day, I looked at my phone around 3 to see that I had missed 2 calls from my doctor's office so I called back and of course was on hold for 5 minutes to be told that Dr. Morris would have to call me back. This just started the worrying process to begin. I called back around 4:45 to find out that my glucose results were NOT normal and were slightly elevated and they wanted me to come in for a 3 hour glucose tolerance test ASAP. I explained that the nurse (who I find out later is new) told me that my results were normal and Dr. Morris apologized but she should have not said anything to me at all before she looked at the results herself. She also explained that the results were only slightly elevated and not to worry yet. Yeah like that was going to happen! So they set up an appointment for me to come in at 8am on Tuesday to the lab. My instructions included to not eat or drink anything besides water after 8 pm Monday (which since I got off at 7:30 that was going to be fun). Thank goodness Joey had dinner on the table waiting for me when I got home at 7:45 so I had 15 minutes to down my dinner and then nothing for 12 hours.

This morning I headed to the lab and when I got there the lab had no paper work or appointment set up for me. They called the other locations throughout the medical building and nothing. So I waited for 30 minutes until the Dr.'s office opened to talk to them. To say the least I was not a happy camper. They called down talked to lab, apologized again for the confusion and sent me back to the lab. The test consisted of drawing a tube of my fasting blood sugar, then I got to drink that nasty glucose drink that was twice as sugary as last time and then have my blood drawn every hour for 3 hours. I finally left there at noon today and during the process I think I made a buddy since I was pretty much the only one in the lab the whole time. I should get these results back either Wednesday or Thursday.

3 comments:

The Stoner Family said...

I can't believe...Quality healthcare! Isn't it nice!

A said...

i had to do the long test too...you are gonna be fine...it sucks though that you had to get stuck all those times!!!

and really, who takes someone else's lunch???

Anonymous said...

Hope everything turns out well!